my place in japan

How to move into Japan

Covering the 4 bases when registering at City Hall.

Ahoy There!

  Once you have a visa and a new address, you will need to register at your local city hall.  Usually within two weeks of getting that visa! If you don’t do this process, you are not officially registered in your area (city, town, or village); therefore, you will not be able to receive various welfare services.  You also have an obligation to pay taxes, so please make sure to do this as soon as possible.
  The bases you need to cover at your local government office are the notification of moving-in (Tennyutodoke), enrolling National Health Insurance (Kokumin Kenko Hoken), National Pension (Nenkin), and acquiring a 'My Number' Card.  Read on to learn a bit about each aspect of taking care of the process.

Move-in process – Once you started living in a new room or house in a city or town or village, you will need to fill out a “notification of moving-in” form (Generally called “Tennyu Tetsuzuki") and submit it to a city or town hall.  By doing this, you will be officially registered to the city or town. After this, you will be able to get a residence certificate (Jyuminhyou) which will be needed for opening a bank account, making a contract with a phone company, getting a Japanese driver’s license, and many other important things.

National Health Insurance (NHI or often called “Kokuho” in Japanese)
  NHI is basically a health-insurance system that covers all citizens in Japan.  Once you obtained the NHI, your co-payment for medical expenses will be drastically reduced whenever you receive medical treatment at a hospital or clinic.  You can also obtain the NHI at a city or town hall.  Your NHI card will be mailed to your residence after you applied for it at a city or town hall.

National Pension (called “Nenkin” in Japanese) – Japanese national pension is often called “Pension Insurance (called “Nenkin Hoken” in Japanese)”.  Every Japanese adult citizen from the age of 20 to 60 as well as every foreigner living in Japan has an obligation to pay for pension.  You can apply for an exemption when you sign up, but usually only for the first year.  WOrth paying into if you intend on staying in Japan for the "long haul".

“My Number Card” System – My number card is like your “Social Security Number” in Japan.  This system is for the Japanese government to manage and maintain your personal information in an efficient manner in terms of 3 aspects: social security, taxation, and disaster control.  Since the My Number Card is so important, you can’t change your number even if you want to. Also, please report to a city or town hall immediately if you lost or damaged your card.

  Hopefully this article helped you gain some insight on getting set up after moving into Japan and look forward to more detailed information about these four bases in the upcoming weeks!

  Please feel free to let us know what you think or send in a request for articles that you want to see by shooting an e-mail to us at!

 Set sail to a new life, may ships take you on the seas, through the skies, and over the land towards my place in Japan.

Until next time, from all of of here at take care!

K & Phil